Progress Physical Therapy has very advanced methods to rehab sports injuries. Worked for me!– Michael S.
What is a concussion?
A concussion is considered a type of traumatic brain injury (TBI). It occurs when the head or body sustain a blow of some kind resulting in the brain moving back and forth rapidly within the skull causing damage to its soft structures.
Who is at risk?
Most people associate concussions with athletes participating in contact sports such as football or soccer. However, concussions can also be sustained from motor vehicle accidents, falls or any other event, not necessarily involving contact, that causes a jolt to the head or body.
Concussion Signs and Symptoms from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Can’t recall events prior to or after a hit or fall
- Appears dazed or stunned
- Forgets instruction or is confused
- Moves clumsily
- Answers questions slowly
- Loses consciousness (even briefly)
- Shows mood, behavior or personality changes
- Headache or “pressure” in head
- Nausea or vomiting
- Balance problems, dizziness, double or blurry vision
- Bothered by light or noise
- Feeling sluggish, hazy, foggy or groggy
- Confusion, concentration or memory problems
- Just not “feeling right” or “feeling down”
Signs and symptoms of concussion may show up immediately, but can also take hours or even days before noticeable. If these signs and symptoms are present, a healthcare professional should be seen to evaluate the extent of injury and determine a plan of care for recovery.
Physical Therapy for Concussion:
A Physical Therapist can be an integral part of concussion recovery. There are many techniques a trained Physical Therapist can use to decrease the symptoms of a concussion as well as promote full recovery. Some of the ways a physical therapist can help in the recovery of a concussion are:
- Balance training
- Manual therapy for neck dysfunction commonly associated with the traumatic injury
- Vestibulo-ocular reflex training
- Proper preparation and assessment of readiness for return to work/sport
- Coordination training
Dr. Kristine Hansen, PT, DPT can assist in your concussion rehabilitation. Please contact our clinic today at (804) 270-7745 to set up an appointment.